Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To: The Ambassador (2)

18th March 2009
To: The Ambassador,
Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka.
Dear Ambassador,
Being a Chinese national, I should and I love to communicate with my government in Chinese. But due to the limitation of typing and the legal assistance what I am able to get now, I have to use English for writing communication with my government. Please kindly understand my difficulty and the situation to accept me using English in communication.
I was put in Jail of Maldives without any legal procedure. After 15 years, I was taken out from the jail without any legal procedure. During my long years of arbitrary detention in Maldives, I knew that the Chinese government has done much to help me and to protect me but at the last, I don’t have anything in writing to prove my position and Chinese government’s stance in my issue.
According to international legal advice, I decided to clarify certain matters of my issue in writing with my government of China. Please reply me point by point as mentioned below.
1. Did Chinese government, Maldivian government and the UN meet together during SAARC Summit in Sri Lanka in August 1998 for my issue of arbitrary detention in Maldives.
2. Did the Chinese government and UN come to Maldives in October 1998 for observing the fair settlement of my issue as what the President of the Maldives, Mr. Maumoon promised during the SAARC Summit. But could not work out because Mr. Maumoon left for Singapore and later went to Germany under guise of emergency health problem. Finally, UN left a settlement of my issue fully between Chinese and Maldivian government on the basis of the commitment of a fair settlement by Maldivian government, before they left from Maldives in earlier November 1998.
3. Did the Maldivian government began a cooperation of long line fishing with Taiwan in January 1999. And in February 1999, the Chinese government gave an invitation to Mr. Maumoon to visit China.
4. Did the Chinese government send a delegation to ask my condition of settlement before Mr. Maumoon visited China in June 1999. After the visit, China began to provide help again to Maldives which was stopped since 1995.
5. Did the Chinese government transfer my four paged letter to the President of Maldives, Mr. Maumoon in May 2003 for my third time calling Mr. Maumoon to reform the unjust governing system and improve inhumane jail conditions. If he could do it himself, I would be willing to make a peace settlement of my issue with the President Maumoon.
6. Did the Chinese government file a case of my long arbitrary detention in Maldives in International Court against Maldivian government in May 2003.
I. If the Chinese government did file the case for my issue of arbitrary detention in Maldives in International Court of Justice, please inform me the number of court case and the main points and the time of filing the case.
II. If Chinese government did not file a case for my arbitrary detention in Maldives to International Court of Justice, please inform me officially in writing.
7. Did Chinese government know :
I. UN Court began the investigation of my issue on June 2003 with the team of seven member arrived in Maldives in a UN special flight. The UN investigating team included a Chinese who was a director of UNHRC and work for UN for about 25 years. One Dutch who was from International Court of Justice to ensure the investigation would be conducted in meeting with the legal standards of International Courts. A Turkish, who was on behalf of International Islamic Community to investigate my religious complains. One Pilipino, who was from UNHRC’s Working Group of Arbitrary Detention.
II. On 15th August 2003, Maldivian President Maumoon sent a special envoy Mr. Ahmed Abdulla, the Health Minister, to deliver a letter to the Chinese Leader to work out a peace settlement through Chinese government as the middle person. But it failed to succeed.
III. The first stage of UN investigation was complete on 21St July 2003 with a report. UN reinforced other 25 more new members in to the investigation team for the second stage of UN investigation.
IV. After the bleeding tragedy took place in Maafushi jail in September 2003 . The UN investigation has been pending.
V. Maldivian president Mr. Maumoon admitted to UN on 24thFebruary 2004 that I was slow poisoned in jail.
8. As a proposal of Maldivian president Mr. Maumoon, a special committee was formed including members from Maldivian government, Chinese government and UN to work out a settlement of my issue without resuming UN court investigation before UN court verdict.
I. The delegation of Chinese government for the special committee was headed by a minister level official, who was an ambassador in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
II. The special committee began to work at the beginning of June 2005. They first checked all official records of Maldivian government before they went to the Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka to check the official records of the Chinese government, then the special committee went to Europe to check the information of the first stage of the International investigation in my issue. Finally, they went to the International court with all these related information. International court decided that the Maldivian government should compensate me Three Hundred Thousand US Dollars.
III. On 17th July 2005, the Chinese delegation Mr. Wang Zhi Bin came to inquire me my stance regarding in which way I would like to end my issue. I expressed my stance of resuming my case from where it stopped. On 20th July 2005, Chinese Central government in Beijing officially informed Maldivian government that my issue has to be settled by resuming UN court investigation and a verdict to be reached by the UN court as the victim wished.

9. On 15th April 2007, Chinese delegation Mr. Huang Guo Bin visited me to see my inner confidence and strength to go forward with UN court investigation and settlement. After that, a UN investigation team was again sent to Maldives on 4th May 2007 on a UN special Flight.
I called Mr. Huang Guo Bin in Chinese Embassy on 7th May 2007 after I fully confirmed that a UN investigation team for my issue had come back to Maldives on 4th May 2007. Mr. Huang Guo Bin asked me how I came to know about this. I explained to him from which three sources I came to know about this. After Mr. Huang Guo Bin rechecked with me for what information he had written down, he asked me which branch of UN had come this time. I said that I did not check which branch of UN was here. I thought it must be the same branch as the last time in 2003. Mr. Huang Guo Bin said to me that I should check out this point since UN was such a large organization with so many branches…
10. I was informed by the government of Maldives through the Director General of DPRS in his office on 16th February 2009 that the Maldivian government has informed Chinese Embassy that I was released on 7th February 2009. And both the governments negotiated together to send me off from Maldives.
In fact, I was taken to Male’ at the afternoon of 7th February 2009 for admission of the hospital before 5:00 PM. I was informed by the government on 12th February 2009 that the government could not send me back to Maafushi prison since I was not a prisoner. And If I was willing to agree, the government would provide me with food and accommodation in Male’ for period of one month. On 14th February 2009 I was discharged from the hospital. I disagreed to be released without a proper legal procedure. Therefore I did not accept the way of the government procedures to prove my willingness for change the legal grounds of the International Court case for my arbitrary detention in Maldives. I gave my six demands in writing to request the government to follow proper legal procedure before releasing me for safety of the court case and my life. On 15th February 2009, while I met with three officials who came from home Ministry and DPRS in the Hospital.
I believe that my arbitrary releasing took place at this time, in such a manner must have something to do with the policy of Chinese government. I would like to know from Chinese government side what Maldivian government had informed about arbitrary releasing to Chinese government and what Chinese government responded to their information. And what were Chinese government policies and stance in this regards.
11. From what had happened to me in past fifteen years of my arbitrary detention and this time arbitrary releasing me. From how Maldivian government had taken away a large number of my belongings including very important documents and evidences during the pending period of International Court investigation. How this time the government of Maldives kept me in a hospital and breaking the locks of my cupboards in the Jail and retrieved my belongings without my consent and knowledge. From all these facts, can prove that there would be no justice for me without proper international investigation and settlement. For such a case in the country where there has been a significant deterioration in the rule of law, by both the previous and the present governments. . .
According to international standard human rights and fair judiciary that fundamental rights for every individual to have their disputes heard and determined by an independent judiciary. Therefore, I request Chinese government help to get International Bar Association Human Rights Institute for determining in sending a fact-finding mission to Maldives to investigate how the government use their political power to cause the pending of the international court process and to prolong the pending period, finally, trying to close the court case by arbitrary releasing me. That is, other than resuming process of International Court case for my arbitrary detention in Maldives.

Please inform me the name of the present Ambassador and the present in-charge of my case in Embassy in both English and Chinese. It will be easy for me to communicate with them in a proper way.
I will send this letter through both email and register post to Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka. I request the Chinese Embassy will reply me from both ways in a timely manner. Please send the reply in post to me through Department of Penitentiary and Rehabilitation Service in Maldives.
Thank you
Your Sincerely,
Richard Wu Mei De

1 comment: